Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Parker's Tonsils part 2

Before surgery. . .
After. Finally calmed down.

So Friday we had to be at the hospital by 6:30 and because of the snowstorm we had to leave at 5:30. And of course he didn't go back to have the surgery until about 8:45. And mabey it's a mom thing but I counted every minute, the DR told us it would only take about 1/2 hour so at the 1/2 hour mark I was even more nervous. About 20 mins later the DR came out and said everything went great. They gave him the gas mask and intubated him (which scares me)-I think I'm too much of a worrying mom. He gave us prescriptions and said we could go back soon, they would call us. Not even 2 mins later they called and told us to go back to recovery. Parker was freaking out. Trying to pull out his IV and screaming that something was stuck in his throat, gagging. He was so figity and cranky. Just seeing him laying in that bed, freaked out - I wanted to just cry for him. It took him about an hour to calm down and start eating ice/popcicles. Finally we got to go home. He wouldn't sleep the whole day, he looked like a walking zombie. We gave him lots of popcicles, and all of his meds. Friday night went fairly well. Saturday night he was up for 3 hours throwing up (I can't even imagine how that feels after surgery in your throat). We quit giving him pain meds, and just stuck with motrin and he is doing great. He is eating really well as of Sunday night. He still puts up a fight with taking his meds. We were really surprised at how well he did.

1 comments:

Creative Corner said...

It is crazy how much your kids grow up and how much more there is to being a parent...crap I might not be able to deal with to many more. you are a great mom! I am glad that Parkers surgery went well. I think I would cry too! And I cant believe that Brooklyn is potty trained! Time for another!